Community Service, Fireworks Gone Wrong, An Ambassador and A Comedian

Posted By on October 17th, 2011

On Wednesday I had the opportunity to go to the Rhode Island Food Bank for a couple of hours with about 15 other students and help them pack boxes of Nutrisystem and fill bags of apples. President Farish showed up for a little while to help us and take some pictures. How many people get to say that they did some community service with the President of their school? I thought I wasn’t going to know anyone, which would not have been fun because shockingly enough I can be quite shy sometimes, but Amber (my RA) and her friend Ruddy were there as well so I had some company. I’m not quite sure how many boxes we ended up packing, but I think it was around 60 boxes full and ready to be sent off to various food pantries throughout the state. It is nice to know that we were able to help out those in need. I’d show whoever is reading this a picture from the warehouse, but I don’t have one yet because someone is slacking off… :-) I’ll hopefully post one on a later blog.

Later on that day once we had returned to campus, I went to CEN’s Wednesday Weekly paired with MSU to get a henna tattoo. I was wicked (I’m from New England, so yes I do say wicked) excited to get one until I smudged it… twice in about 30 seconds.

So this is what my arm looked like that evening before it got darker. It was meant to be a heart with some swirls but instead the swirls now look like mush. Whoops.

Ambassador Andrew Young came to speak to the Roger Williams community that evening as a part of President Farish’s Inauguration week. (BTW- He’s officially our president now as of last Thursday…. so does that mean we didn’t technically have one before?) To be honest, it was long, but he was pretty interesting to listen to and gave us a lot of advice on how to go through our college careers.

On Friday we were supposed to have fireworks, but the weather was not ideal so they got moved to Saturday night. That didn’t go over well either, though. The rain was off and on, but I heard that the few that were lit were pretty behind Global Heritage Hall. If only I had been looking out my window then I would have been able to see them! Around the time of the fireworks I was on my way with Amber and some other girls from my unit to meet Joe Wong. We had him park in the parking lot by Bayside, only to discover a bunch of fire apparatus and an ambulance. I’m assuming that’s why the fireworks ended after only lighting a few off, but I wonder what happened? Someone told me they some misfired and hit a building, and another person told me that the barge the fireworks were in exploded. Both equally exciting stories…

Usually when someone makes me laugh it is because they did something out of the ordinary without even intending to. For some unknown reason, I have never found comedians or comedy movies funny. Maybe it’s because I always think the actors or comedians are trying too hard?? Though, on Saturday night Joe Wong changed my thoughts. His awkward personality made it so that I thought everything he said was absolutely hilarious. In addition to this, the laughs/squeaks from the people behind me were almost equally as funny as the comedian. One of my favorite jokes came when Joe Wong decided to tell us a little bit about himself. This is how he started…

“I used to be the youngest baby in the world…for a split second.”

I think it’s pretty amazing that Joe Wong and I have something in common… I used to be the youngest baby in the world for a split second, too!!!

Amber and Rhea (co-chairs of CEN’s WTF) with Joe Wong

Joe Wong

Joe Wong

To finish this blog, I have something random to tell everyone.  I have this strange new collection in my dresser…t-shirts. They are starting to take up a lot of room in my dorm, but luckily they serve multiple purposes…

• Gym Shirt
  • Sleep Shirt
  • Shirt to wear to class when I have an 8am class (every day) and don’t care what I look like
  • Shirt to wear when I haven’t done laundry (Happens often…)
  • Shirt to wear when I want to represent RWU
  • Space filler

Come to RWU. We have free T-Shirts. And who doesn’t love free stuff?

Today is the start of ICC’s spirit week ending with Homecoming and Family weekend. So I’m sure my next blog will probably be long and fun filled, so be on the lookout for that. :-) Thanks for reading!

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Similar Posts
Posted in Fall 2011