Adventures in Asia

Adventures in Asia

Just this past week I returned from a month of travels in Asia, a month spent meeting students and their families that brought me to some truly amazing places and in contact with some truly amazing people. Here are a few of the places and sights that I was able to see and of course I had to take Swoop the Hawk, our mascot with me as well! In Kolkata, India I was able to visit the home and then the orphanage where Mother Teresa spent her life before traveling to the outskirts of the city to see rural fishing villages. In New Delhi, India I was able to take to the streets to explore the shops and restaurants. In Beijing, China a group of daring counselors and myself woke up at 4:30 in the morning to make it to the Great Wall before our afternoon college fair and gazing over the amazing structure as it rolled on in the hills in both directions was worth every second. In Hong Kong the lights at night both from the top of Victoria’s Peak and from the middle of the harbor were truly stunning. Not to mention the whirlwind experience of being interviewed on a television network in Vietnam, speaking with fellow counselors about how to choose a university and how to apply. And that is just a few of the places and images from my travels that will stay with me now that I am home.

But even more than the places and events, what truly stands out as I look back on my trip is the people. There were the fellow counselors from other schools I was given the opportunity to travel with and get to know. There were my interpreters in Korea, China and Vietnam who introduced me to the local cultures and attempted (I say attempted because I might not have been the best student) to teach me to write my name in Korean, Chinese and Vietnamese. And then there were the students (future Hawks) and their families that truly made every day abroad worthwhile. It was unbelievably rewarding to meet new students and students I have had the opportunity to email with in the months leading up to my travel, students interested in an array of majors and organizations and to work with them to help them find the right fit. I even had the opportunity to meet with one family in Hong Kong that I had met with on our campus and was honored when they told me they came out to the college fair that night just because they heard I would be there.

To truly complete the circle, returning home, I have returned to emails and applications from the people I was given the opportunity to meet on the road and each communication is a reminder of all that I have taken with me from my travels. Now I can’t wait to welcome some of the students and families I met during my travels to our campus in the coming semesters!

The Great Wall

The Great Wall

Me and Swoop on the Great Wall

Me and Swoop on the Great Wall

468 ad