To go away on a summer’s day, never seemed so clear.

Awesome stop sign in Woods Hole.

Stop Hamma' Time

Cape Cod was tons of fun! We ended up only staying one night, because Adam’s parents were coming to visit the next day (surprising us and Adam,) but it was still a great couple of days. Jess and I arrived in Woods Hole with some time to spare before Adam’s seal show, so we checked out the aquarium and were given a private tour, (which made the other aquarium visitors kind of jealous.) Jess and I spent some time bumming around Woods Hole, venturing to the Visitor’s Center/Gift Shop, where we pretended to be scientists and enjoyed views of the water.

"Do you want to touch him? He's endangered."

The aquarium has star fish, but do they have a star blogger?

Future Scientist

Future Scientist

We got back to the aquarium, and Adam, along with another intern, did their seal show- the seals (Bumper, who is blind and LuSeal) jumped through hoops, fetched rings, and did other cool stuff to be rewarded with fish. Jess and I once again got the V.I.P. treatment and got to stand in the area between the general population and the seal trainers. Many children asked their parents why they couldn’t stand where we were standing.

Adam doing his thing, with the help of LuSeal.

His summer job seems a little more fun than mine: answering phones and filing..

After the seal show, Jess and I waited for Adam, who had to do something fish related. So we decided to wander around the aquarium, which was quickly becoming abandoned. Naturally, we decided to pretend that we were in a horror movie, potentially titled, “Escape from the Haunted Aquarium,” or something like that. We finally met back up with Adam, and followed him back to where he was staying in Falmouth.

Home away from home

Home away from home

Adam made us a great dinner- seafood, of course and dessert was provided by CupCapes of Falmouth. Red Velvet won my heart. Looking for something to do, we decided to do some night time beaching, and drove about 5 minutes (in Adam’s Prius. That’s right. His Prius) just in time to catch the sun setting and the moon rising.

Former mentor/mentee love.

Former mentor/mentee love.

Really, just asking to be sat in. Quickly. Before the owners noticed.

We headed back to Adam’s and watched (500) Days of Summer before passing out with exhaustion. We live such thrilling lives.  =)

Jess and I, looking for something to do the next day, after being exiled from the house (real family trumps Admissions family, I guess) decided to go to Hell Island Martha’s Vineyard. We had both been when much younger, so we though it’d be fun. We were wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong. Okay, I’m exadurrating a little. But only a little.

It took forever to find parking. Free parking that is. $25 for the day was a little ridiculous. And we didn’t really want to bring the car on the ferry. So after the hike to the ferry, we boarded and set sail for the Deathyard. It’s kind of like the Florida of the Northeast- lots of retirees and small children, but without Disney World. I hope the Cape Cod Tourism Council isn’t reading this. After spending some time wandering through the many lanes of painted houses in Oak Bluth’s, we went into town to find that we were not the target demographic for any of the cute shops. I’m not as fond of ecclectic jewlery, antique furniture, and patterned sweaters as some, I guess.

Pretty Fantastic.

Pretty Fantastic.

We decided to leave on the next possible ferry, which did not come soon enough. Okay, it really wasn’t that bad.

Awesome Lobster hatted kid on the dock.

Awesome Lobster hatted kid on the dock.

But, it was a relief to be back in Woods Hole. There, we stumbled upon Pie in the Sky (awesome key lime pie and iced coffee.)

Heavenly.

Heavenly, plain and simple.

After too much pie and ice cream, Jess and I were spent. So, we decided to head back to Bristol.

Tomorrow, is the Bristol 4th of July Parade. Even though I am a native Rhode Islander, I have never been. Since I’ve adpoted Bristol as my new home, it seems like a better time than ever to go to the Parade. Can’t wait to go, and can’t wait to put up pictures of the festivities.

What have you been up to this summer? Gone anywhere exotic? Send me all the deets.

-Tom

That's what she said. (Really, could not help myself.)

4 Responses to “To go away on a summer’s day, never seemed so clear.”

• Isabelle Says:

You’re so lucky! I would love to study in a big american university (I’m canadian… and my first language is french so it’s quite impossible for me)! I would love to act in several plays like you do. I don’t even know how you find the time to write this blog, I admire you and I’m so jealous! Well, continue this blog you’ll find lots of interested readers.

• adam Says:

dearest tom.
    thanks for blogging about my wonderful life at the cape. additionally, thanks for not blogging about me almost setting the house on fire that night when you two visited as i tried to create a nice atmosphere with a REAL fire in the fire place. you think i would’ve learned after blowing myself up while trying to light a grill 3 week prior to that incident. Anyhoo, the seals say hi, and that picture of the turtle i was holding is the same turtle i released 3 days ago (the most endangered species of sea turtle in the world) named yellow. Great blogging, it was nice to have a celebrity of your status at the aquarium (is that the freshman blogger?).

In conclusion i apprecciated the “thats what she said” joke and i am stunned that our boss in admissions didn’t kill you for it.

Love,
    Adam

• Tom Sojka Says:

thanks for reading. if you’re interested in rwu as an international student, you can find more details here: http://thedock.rwu.edu/international

• Tom Sojka Says:

dearest adam,
    the joke did cause a bit of controversy- but in the end, they realized it was just funny.
    saw the turtle release photos, and they looked amazing. good work this summer…you tamed wild beasts, i tamed wilder children.
    i look forward to more core four outings, so i can blog about them. ideally, lisa will put up those pictures from LAST MAY soon.

love,
    tom