Summer Reading List

I like to stay busy during summer. I’ve been giving tours like it’s my job (because it is), going to as many galleries and theatres as possible, and reading.

I like to get my news from my print subscriptions to The Economist and The New Republic, in addition to reading Slate and Salon online.

After catching up on current events, I like novels. And here are my picks for this summer.

atlas2

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

While Ayn Rand may be a political nut-job, no one can write a  forty page monologue like her. Dorthy Parker once said this about the book: “This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force.”  It is not so much a beach read as it is something to keep you entertained during an extended sojourn on a desert island. What I’m getting at is it’s long. It’s reaaaallllly long. But, the Ayn Rand Foundation runs an essay contest for college students. The grand prize is a $10,000 scholarship. Totally worth it.

51kxc6wkhhl

The Adults by Alison Espach

A much lighter (literally) read than the previous novel, but a good one nevertheless. It follows a girl growing up in Connecticut to adulthood and is a fascinating examination of what is going on beneath a seemingly perfect facade. It’s funny, smart, and worth reading.

Intern-Nation-frontcover

Intern Nation by Ross Perlin

I haven’t read Intern Nation yet, but as someone who will probably be an intern next summer, I’m interested. It asks questions about internships as a whole- are they ethical? Why do thousands of college students work for free every year? Is there really that much pay off?

What are you reading this summer? Trade Twilight for The Hunger Games and US Weekly for Vanity Fair. Just ’cause it’s summer doesn’t mean you can’t read something captivating and engaging.

See you at the library,

Tom