Firenze

Ciao ragazzi!

It’s hard to believe that I’ve only been in Florence for a week now. Luckily, my flight was not delayed by Hurricane Irene and was safe and sound and in Florence last Thursday after a quick stopover in Frankfurt. All of my luggage also arrived with me, which was a welcome surprise since we were told our bags would probably be delayed a few days.

I was herded into a taxi and taken to my apartment on Via del Moro, 22. I live on the second floor (third floor by American standards), so getting my two bags upstairs was a less than fun endeavor. I live with seven other Roger Williams guys, most of whom are architecture students.

We had orientation for school the following three days, during which we were instructed on what to do and what not to do in the city, how to not act like a tourist, and to really go out and enjoy everything Florence has to offer.

Some rules at school (which is housed in Palazzo Ruccelai) are not to slam the doors, because they “are older than your home country,” no chewing gum (it will stain the limestone stairs if it falls on the ground), and avoid yelling in the halls, because the noble family which lives on the upper floors of the Palazzo Ruccelai will be disturbed by the noise. The Count Ruccelai in particular. Yes, the Count.

I’m taking a full course load:

• Michelangelo
  • Archaeology and Art of Ancient Italy
  • The Roman Empire
  • European Union
  • The Florence Experience: Elementary Italian

All of my classes have field trips that will take me across Italy- Rome, Pompeii, Populonia, and throughout Florence. The school also has trips and cultural activities for us to participate in- Chianti this Friday and Siena on Saturday, for instance.

Next weekend, I’ll be heading to Prague for the weekend with a brief stop over in Munich for the start of Oktoberfest.

I’ll post pictures of my apartment and what I’ve encountered in Florence so far after the weekend.

Arrivaderci!