Still Alive…

Hey all-

Sorry about my absence from the blogosphere lately. I’ve been busy enjoying all Florence has to offer and doing the “studying” portion of my study abroad.

Climbed the Duomo!

It’s hard to believe that this is the last week of classes before mid-terms and fall break!

Currently, I’m making study guides for my classes and planning study sessions with my classmates. This is very easy given my class sizes. My Michelangelo class has six students and my Archaeology class have five. My others are all under 20 students. It’s impossible not to get personal attention from professors.

On Friday, I had a field trip for my Archaeology class. After hopping on a super early train, my class arrived in Populonia with our professor. The class is team taught by a historian (our professor) and an archaeologist, who guest lectures in our classes sometimes. The archaeologist is in charge of a dig in Populonia, uncovering the remnants of a Roman villa. We had the chance to do some of our own digging and got to enjoy the beautiful seaside landscape. After leaving the dig, we explored some Etruscan tombs and headed up to the village of Populonia, which has under 20 full-time inhabitants.

Digging the situation.

Digging the situation.

After getting lunch, we ventured up to the acropolis, where there was another dig going on. While there, the team made a huge discovery of an inscription which reinforced the head archaeologists thesis regarding the temple he had excavated.

On Saturday, I headed to the Biblioteca delle Oblate to study, one of the hippest places in town. While you may think libraries are boring- this one is anything but. It has a cafe on the rooftop terrace with great views of the Duomo and is bustling with Italian students studying in the funky, modern environment. The library also hosts concerts, readings, and a variety of other events.

cafeteria_oblate_firenze

Biblioteca delle Oblate

Next weekend, I’ll be going to Rome for a field trip with my Ancient Rome class, which should be a lot of fun. And then I’ll tackle mid-terms.

Wish me luck!